… childcare, what about a piece — or several — on how fathers are doing too little? Let’s be direct: Men’s refusal to do an equal share of domestic work during the pandemic — a decision that could roll women’s rights back by decades — is a national scandal. Why aren’t we covering it as such?
This just shows you have a cultural-, physical-, and political issue. Here is how Norway deals with child care:
- We don’t have $300K student loans to ruin our lives. We can spend time at home without working 10 hour days. Both mom and dad. Universities are free, private schools are around $10K/year.
- We get paid to stay home for 49 weeks. 3 weeks before birth, mom is off work to prepare for birth. The first 2 weeks after birth, the dad has a right to take time off work, paid or not(depends on the emloyer). The first 6 weeks after birth, is moms to take. 16 weeks you can share as you like. Then there is a 15 week period for the dad only. If the dad does not use this period, you lose 15 weeks of pay. 100% of your salary up until a certain point.
- When mom goes back to work after being away from a year, she can get 1 hour paid per day for breast feeding. Some employers give 2. Remember, we only work 7–7.5 hours per day to begin with.
- We work hard on equal rights giving men and women the same opportunities. We try to get more women into politics and other areas. In a man’s dominated jon, you can get extra points applying for studies related to that job as a woman and vice versa.
- Dads not doing at least the same amount of domestic work is just considered di**s. We do domestic work and cut the grass, change tyres and all the other tasks we’ve always done.
You can’t blame men alone. You have to blame men, women and your whole system. You live under a system that continues to skew the whole mom/dad relationship domestically. Blame your political system for not including women, blame your tax system for not providing time off after birth. Blame the old men from the past that make up all the rules… the list goes on. It’s not the dads fault alone, it’s your entire country